Since the late 1980s a pantomime has featured as the January/February production performed by the society. Over 30 pantomimes have been mounted over that period, several written by our own members. Some of these have won awards in the Oxfordshire Drama Network Pantomime Festival. The cast for the pantomimes is augmented by up to 40 children drawn from the local community, a few taking lead roles, the majority in the chorus or dance ensembles. A large number of families are thus involved, and many children receive their first taste of the theatre in this way. The pantomimes is hugely enjoyable for those taking part, both adults and children alike, and is very popular with the Faringdon community.
- Children wishing to attend must be school Year 5 or above.
- Adults of all ages are also welcome to try for a part or to help back-stage.
- The process kicks off with a read through early in October (as published on our website).
- Auditions are then normally held later the same week.
- Rehearsals then follow one evening a week until Christmas.
- Principal characters will also be required to attend some extra rehearsals.
- After Christmas, everyone will be needed on two evenings a week, usually Mondays and Thursdays.
- As we near the performances, some rehearsals will run until 10:00pm.
Those who are offered a part in the pantomime will be able to get all the forms and information they need from the links below. The latest information concerning rehearsals will be published on the page for the specific pantomime as soon as it becomes available. Please note that changes may occasionally have to be made at short notice but you will be told at the rehearsals.
Adults taking part in the panto will be required to be paid-up members of the society, which will include their children. Otherwise, if a child is offered a part in the pantomime then a token payment will be required in order to help towards our costs, and for insurance purposes. See application form for latest details.
Child Application Form – for all members and non-members children under 18.
Payment Page – If you have already successfully completed the form for each child or something went wrong with the payment or you just need to purchase a printed script.
Some documents to download:
Many of the pantomimes staged by Faringdon Dramatic Society were written by members of the society themselves. More…
Wishing on a Star 2019 – a pantomime by Helen Thrower & Verity Roberts